Baby Carriage Full of Beercans: Familiarity breeds contempt (so imagine what breeding must do)

Baby Carriage Full of Beercans

Assfulls of goodness.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

There's nothing sadder than an aging hipster. That's why I've been so uncool all these years.

Wednesday, March 10

Familiarity breeds contempt (so imagine what breeding must do)

I wanted to see if I was a lone, crazy nihilist, so I started looking around to see if there were any groups of people out there who seemed "normal" and were not into the baby-making scene. Turns out, I'm a normal realist and there's plenty of people out there just like me.

I was happy to find that there are at least a few groups out there who are "against" child-having as a PERSONAL choice, but not as far-out-there as groups like the Church of Euthenasia or The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement (VHEMT).

What gave me the MOST hope yet, is a book called....

The Childless Revolution (2001)
by Madelyn Cain
From Amazon: A fascinating and incisive look at a growing demographic: women without children. Due in part to birth control, later marriages, and the emergence of two-career couples, 42 percent of the American female population is childless, representing the fastest-growing demographic group to emerge in decades. These women are reshaping the definition of womanhood in a fundamental way, yet they are largely misunderstood. Whether childless by choice or by chance, they are alternately pitied and scorned, and are rarely asked directly about their childlessness; like the elephant in the living room, childlessness is a taboo subject.

42%! Dude, half the women out there don't want kids! More than half of that half is probably located right here in NYC.

Believe me, I have no intentions of opting out of my current relationship, but if my gal decides she just needs a god damned baby more than anything else, at least I know there's half a chance that I could find someone out there who has no interest in baby-making (that half a chance is actually 42% of the chance that I can find anyone at all to be with...) The likelihood of finding another person out there I really "click with" is pretty slim and the odds that this person is also anti-baby are even slimmer... but at least I know there's a LOT more women out there than I suspected who don't want kids! Yay!

I would suggest all you fuckin' baby-lovers go out there and read a book called

The Parenthood Decision (1998)
by Beverly Engel
From Amazon: Deciding whether or not to become a parent (and if so, when and how) is one of life's biggest decisions. For some people, the choice to have a child is intuitive -- something they've always known they would do. Nonetheless, questions arise for them. How can I know if the time is right? What are my real reasons for wanting a child? Are my motivations questionable? For others, the question is whether or not to have a child at all. What if I want to parent and my partner does not? Am I capable of being a good parent? Is my partner? What about money issues?

Judging by the 1 and 2 star reader's responses on Amazon, I would say that this book cuts through the bullshit "magic" and "wonder" of the biological impulse to "make a little miracle" and may actually shed a little light into the minds of people who seem to want to have kids regardless of how poor their current outlook is and how many fucked-up mental problems they have.

At least I know I'm nuts. As Cat Stevens said, "I can't keep it in. I can't keep it and I gotta let it out."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home