Baby Carriage Full of Beercans: Eliminade

Baby Carriage Full of Beercans

Assfulls of goodness.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

There's nothing sadder than an aging hipster. That's why I've been so uncool all these years.

Saturday, February 28

Eliminade

"Crazy, toys in the attic, he is crazy..." goes the music in the background by a band I had once written off as "lame" on an album I had completely written off as "totally lame" several years ago. Listening to it now, it is hard to imagine why or how I could have ever thought that. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, the album is Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Suprise, suprise, I am actually going to call this "high art" from now on, in contrast to the entertaining novelty acts like so many of the other bands I had once held in so much higher regard. I suppose 12 or 15 years is enough span of time to change your mind about something. I am guessing that I simply did not like The Wall because I was introduced to it by people I considered wastoid idiot losers. I suppose it is possible that I have now developed into a wastoid idiot loser and this is why I have finally come to regard The Wall with the same sort of awe and enthusiasm as a high school stoner who can't be bothered to brush his teeth or bathe and takes advantage of one-legged chicks.

But, I wonder if these high school stoners really had any depth of understanding when they listened to The Wall. I know I only sort of vaguely "got it," but then again, I wasn't trying too hard to "get it" anyway, since I had already written it off. Slow music just seemed ponderous to me back then, I guess. Although, now that I think about it, these same stoners had introduced me to Black Sabbath, which is also quite slow. (There's another interesting flip-flop for me: growing up in the 80's, I first saw the Blizzard of Oz version of Ozzy on MTV and on faded t-shirts of kids who went to BOCES, chewed tobacco and did wheelies down the street on their junkyard BMX bikes. I decided Ozzy was a loser. Then, somehow, I got the idea that Ozzy was cool, once I saw a film of Black Sabbath during a middle school music class where it was described as "acid rock." ACID ROCK! Now, there's a cool term I had never heard before. I thought it sounded more "badass" than "hard rock" or "heavy metal," but had no idea what acid actually was at the time. Then, I met these stoners who gave me acid and played Black Sabbath in the van as we drove around in a fishbowl with wheels staring at the outside world. Then, I decided Ozzy was definitely cool.)

But, anyway... The Wall is one of the few examples of music that is utterly depressing which is totally uplifting. I am getting old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home